Archbishop Teofilo Bastida Camomot, DD
(3-Mar-1914 – 27-Sep-1988 San Fernando)
“…and be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you.” – Ephesians 4:32
Son of Luis Aleson Camomot and Angela Bastida from Talisay.
Ordained priest 1941, Bishop 1955; Archbishop 1958;
Parish priest, Talisay; re-converted the pre-dominantly Aglipayan town to the Catholic Church as he brought in whole families who, in the nationalistic aftermath of the Revolution, had left to join the Philippine Independent Church;
Served as the first Prior of St. Elias Chapter for Priests of the Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites established in 1955; two months later became Auxiliary Bishop of Jaro (Iloilo), 1955; Coadjutor (with right of succession) Archbishop of Cagayan de Oro, 1958; founded in 1959 (1960 in some accounts) the Congregation of Blessed Virgin Missionaries of Carmel in Balingasag, Misamis Oriental; Resigned as Coadjutor Archbishop 1970; next became, first, parish priest of Pardo, Cebu City, and in 1976 of Carcar; in Carcar, some members of the Balingasag order followed him to form the Daughters of St. Teresa of Avila (DST) based in Valladolid, Carcar (in its 50th year, with its approval around August this year by the Vatican as a Pontifical congregation, DST can now practice around the world); yoga practicioner; stories of bilocation while alive; died in a highway accident in Balud, San Fernando; canonization-in-process; in 2009, his body buried in the Catholic cemetery, was exhumed for transfer to the DST convent and, according to cemetery witnesses, found uncorrupted and even his garments, intact; the diggers had prepared only a box for his bones, and further reports say cardinal vidal had to order the monsignor’s body be laid in a new coffin for the transfer. (Hopefully, in this day and age, a video, or even just a photo, documentation of the entire process, including the attestation of witnesses present, had been prescribed by the officials responsible for the exhumation, examination and subsequent transfer and reburial of Archbishop Camomot’s body.)
(Photos below taken by author in 1988 of Monsignor Camomot burial, biggest the town ever gave or witnessed)